Monday, August 27, 2012

the time has come

if you've been following my blog since the beginning, or if you've known me for the past 6 years... you'd know i've been interested in learning american sign language. after all the talk and no walk, i finally applied to a school and started ASL1 on friday. i don't have too much to say yet, but i love my teacher. she is super nice and enthusiastic. nothing beats that in a teacher. there are about 20 or so students and i'd say only about a 4th of them want to go forward through and become interpreters. i'm still unsure, but that's good enough for me.

our first class we went through fingerspelling(the alphabet) and our next class we will have a quiz on the letters. our teacher, nancy, will visually show us each letter in random and we have to write down which one it is.

i so look forward to being able to communicate through my hands, and meet people with my experience in the deaf community! there are a lot of tasks ahead of me... including writing papers :) we also have a deaf tutor on fridays before class that we communicate with!

so excited!




No comments: